At JDA, we have a program called WIN – Women’s Interest Network – that is focused on mentoring, sponsoring and developing women at all levels to realize their full career potential at JDA. JDA FOCUS 2015 was the inaugural year for two tracks focused on women:
- Overcoming Obstacles: A Conversation with Successful Supply Chain Leaders
- Mentoring Mindset: Supporting Careers for Women in Supply Chain.
It was inspiring to hear personal stories from some amazing women in supply chain. The sessions were led by JDA’s own Nancie Torrence and Veena Nayak who serve on our JDA WIN steering committee. We were also joined by Nancy Nix from AWESOME – Achieving Women’s Excellence in Supply Chain Operations, Management and Education – at a networking breakfast the following morning. The breakfast gave the JDA WIN members an opportunity to connect with women from many different industries and backgrounds, and exchange ideas about what type of diversity and inclusion programs were working in their organizations.
The two afternoon sessions were made up of panelists consisting of talented supply chain professionals. Each session had a specific topic focus, but also entertained compelling questions from the audience. The interaction and knowledge exchange was both entertaining and educational.
For those that didn’t get a chance to attend, below is my top 10 list of great quotes from the sessions. I look forward to seeing even more women and men at the women in supply chain tracks in 2016.
- “I have to admit what I don’t know and learn from others.”
- “Don’t be bothered by the little things. If you can’t get through it, it makes others want to work with you more.”
- “If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.”
- “Mentoring – make time for it!”
- “If your mentor doesn’t challenge you, then find a new mentor.”
- “Surround yourself with cheerleaders.”
- “Trust your teams; delegate more so that you can make the choice to stay balanced.”
- “How best can men help women? Tell them what you want.”
- “You can’t be afraid to fail in order to build your confidence.”
- “Don’t let others dictate what you can and can’t do. Know yourself and set your own path.”
Thank you to the many women who suggested ideas for making enhancements to the sessions for next year and beyond. Thank you all for your participation, your feedback and your passion to continue to build this event. Together we can make this a WIN’ing tradition for all at JDA FOCUS.